Weekly Screening Clinics
On Wednesdays throughout the run LS-CAT will perform mail-in
screening clinics on one of our insertion device beamlines. Detailed
instructions on how to use the remote access/mail-in interface should
be available later.
- Use the correct caps, vials, and
pins. We will be using the robotic sample changer. Caps noted
as being "BAD" here
are not appropriate. Samples shipped in canes will be placed
into SPINE baskets and must be in Molecular Dimensions SPINE vials.
- Check your pin length. Our
equipment will be set up for 18mm pins (22mm overall length). We
recommend also using the first position in the magazine/basket/cane
to store an empty loop with the same length pin as the rest of your
samples. Please do not mix pin lengths in a shipment as doing so
will most certainly result in the destruction of some of your
crystals since a pin that is too short or too long will put the
crystal outside of the cryostream.
- We accept Rigaku ACTOR magazines, SPINE Baskets, canes with
samples in Molecular Dimensions SPINE vials.
out an ESAF. For the maximum flexibility we'll specify that the
experiment can take place on any of our operating beamlines at any
time from Wednesday to the following Tuesday.
- Under the "Experimenters" tab mark users as "Mail-in" if
participating in screening only. Mark users "Remote" if remote
access is anticipated. To participate in both screening and
remote access, chose "Remote". NOTE: users marked
"Remote" must successfully
cyber security training.
- Under the "Description" tab select the following:
- Beamline: check ID
- Station: check D, F, and G
- Start Date: the coming Wednesday
- Start Time: 8AM
- End Date: the Tuesday after the start date. (yes, the
ESAF will be valid for almost one week)
- End Time: 8AM
- Short Description: "Mail-in screening only", "Remote
Access only", or "Mail-in screening followed by Remote
- Under the "Materials" tab, use exactly the same name for
each type of crystal that you use on the LS-CAT crystal
- Set your LS-CAT Remote Access password and
user name. Note that we use the same interface for mail-in
screening and remote access users. If you haven't used LS-CAT
recently then you'll need to wait for us to approve your ESAF before
trying to obtain a password or setting your username.
- Load you magazines, baskets, or canes. Place an empty loop in
the fist position of the first magazine, puck, or cane so that we
can double check that your pin length is correct before mounting a
real crystal. We'll need to know which crystal is where (and so
will you). Here is a PDF
form you can use until our electronic version is ready.
Be careful when you load your samples:
- Rigaku ACTOR Magazines: Make sure each pin is pointed
straight up. The most common problem is that cap is not seated
correctly in the magazine. This will crash the robot and end
your remote access session.
- SPINE Baskets: The caps should be visible since the metal
end on the vial goes down into the basket. Ship all five SPINE
Baskets plus the Styrofoam spacer even if only one of the
baskets has samples.
- Canes: Use a sleeve to ensure your samples arrive intact.
Without the sleeve the samples will fall off of the cane and
most likely be lost. Package sorting facilities are really
- Your "Host" will be the staff contact for the screening clinics
and associated remote access time. Ship your dewars to arrive by 10
AM on Wednesday to
Staff Contact (Phone #, email address)
LS-CAT, Building 436A
9700 South Cass Avenue
Lemont, IL 60439
Submit your ESAF before shipping your dewars.
The screening clinics and remote access services are provided on a
best-efforts basis. All risks associated with sample handling are
assumed by the remote experimenters, not by the LS-CAT staff.